As we can see that there are many improvements in Outlook features, and so the PST file sizes aren’t bound by any limitations. Therefore, users who created multiple PST files with older versions of MS Outlook are now looking for a solution to merge them into larger files that can be used as a single entity with newer versions of Outlook. So, here in this article, I’ll be providing you with various methods to merge PST files in Outlook 2019, 2016, 2013, 2010, and 2007. But before moving to the solution directly, you ought to know what PST files are why there’s a need to merge them in Outlook. So, here we go.
What is a PST File?
A PST (Personal Storage Table) file is a Microsoft Outlook Data File that stores a user’s Outlook data for POP3, IMAP, and web-based mail accounts. PST files contain all your messages and other Outlook items and are saved on your computer. Also, certain types of accounts, such as POP accounts, make use of .pst files to store their information.
Here are some situations when Merging Outlook PST Files becomes very helpful:
There are several instances where we need to combine existing PST files into a new data file. Some of them are mentioned here:
- To merge multiple old accounts.
- Receiving files from a team or family member.
- To combine work and social accounts.
- Migrating to a different service or exchange.
- To create backups of existing accounts.
So, these are the reasons as to why you merge PST files. Now, let’s explore the methods to combine PST files.
How to Merge PST Files Manually?
To merge multiple Outlook PST files in order to form a larger file that can be used with the latest Outlook versions, you need to follow the below mentioned manual steps:
Step 1: Create a new blank PST file
To create a new blank PST, follow the steps given here:
- First of all, In the Outlook window, click on New Items > More Items > Outlook Data File
- After that, select a location to save the new blank PST and give a name for it.
- Then, click on the OK button.
Step 2: Next step is to combine all existing PST files into newly created blank PST
To merge PST files into the new file created above, follow the steps given below:
- Firstly, in the Outlook window, click on File > Open > Import
- Now an Import-Export Wizard will appear. Choose Import from another program or file
- Click on the Next button.
- Now, you have to select file type Outlook Data File (.pst) to import from
- Then, Click on the Next button.
- Next, click on Browse to locate the file to be imported.
- After that, check the Do not import duplicates box. Click Next
- You have to choose which folder you wish to import.
- Now, check the Include subfolders and Import items into the same folder
- Finally, click the Finish button.
By following these steps you will be able to import the PST file to the folder you specified in step 8. If you want to import the other PSTs, then repeat the same steps for each one. After all the files have been imported, their data can be merged into a single PST. Then, the resultant PST can be exported to any machine to access all mailbox data.
In the above blog, I have explained the step by step guide for how can a user manage PST files by merging multiple Outlook PST files into a single one. The manual procedure to merge PST files in Outlook has been described in detail. I hope it helps to resolve your query.