Almost every MS Outlook user must have faced different kinds of errors due to reasons such as corruption in the PST file, relocation of the PST file, Outlook profile corruption, etc. And Outlook error 0x8004010f is amongst the most common error encountered by most of the Outlook users. So, here we will find out what exactly this error means, why it occurs and the solutions to fix this.
This Outlook error occurs in Outlook 2010 and Outlook 2013 versions due to the corruption of the Outlook profile. It stops the application from sending or receiving email messages. Whenever the user tries to send or receive an email, Outlook will show the following error message:
0x8004010F: Outlook Data File cannot be accessed.
0x8004010F: The operation failed. An object could not be found.
Reasons Behind Outlook Error Code 0x8004010F
An OST file is prone to corruption because of many factors. These include corruption due to large size, virus attacks, damage due to accidental shutdown, etc. This is a common MAPI error and it occurs at the time of synchronizing an offline address book, during send/receive operation. It also occurs while downloading the OAB files. The core reasons behind this error are:
- Corruption in the OST file.
- Incorrect configuration or corruption of the Outlook profile.
- Change in the location of the OST file on the machine.
- Copying of previous version old OST file after upgrading.
This error will prevent you from sending or receiving any emails so you have to resolve it at the earliest stage.
How to fix the Outlook error 0x8004010F?
Depending upon the main cause behind this error, you could opt for different ways to fix Outlook error. The solutions explained below apply to Outlook 2010 and Outlook 2013.
- Locate the Outlook Data File (PST).
- Create a new profile in Outlook.
- Set the new Outlook profile as the default.
Method #1: Locate the Outlook Data File (PST)
- Firstly, start the Outlook application. Click on File > Account Settings> Account Settings.
- Under Account Settings, go to the Data Files tab and note the name and location of the default Outlook data file (the default data file always have a checkmark before it). Click on the Close button.
Method #2: Create a New Profile in MS Outlook
When you create a new Outlook profile using the IMAP/POP3 account, you can either do it manually or use the auto account setup. Both the ways are described here:
1. Create a new Outlook profile
If the reason behind this error is corruption in the Outlook profile, then creating a new one will fix the error easily. For this, you have to find the current location of your default Outlook data file (in this case, the OST file), and then create a new Outlook profile. Follow the steps to do this:
Make use of an auto account set up to create an Outlook profile
- First of all, go to Control Panel then, click Mail. It will open the Mail Setup – Outlook window.
- In Mail Setup – Outlook window, click on the Show Profiles button.
- Under the Mail dialogue box, click on the Add button.
- After that, enter a new Profile Name in the New Profile window. Then click OK.
- Now, enter your user credentials in the Add Account window and click Next. The account is created.
If creating a new Outlook profile isn’t possible
Some of the users have multiple email accounts in Outlook and creating a new Outlook profile might not be feasible for them. In such a situation, they can follow the below-mentioned procedure to fix the Outlook error 0x8004010F:
Use the manual method to create an Outlook profile
To create an Outlook profile manually, just follow the steps given here:
- Under Add Account, select the Manual setup or additional server types option. Then click on the Next button.
- Under Choose Service, select POP or IMAP to connect to a POP or IMAP account and click Next.
- In POP and IMAP Account Settings, enter your account details. Under Deliver new messages to, select Existing Outlook Data File. Click Browse and select the Outlook data file of the previous account then click OK. Click Next.
- Under Test Account Settings, click Close and then Finish.
Method #3: Set the New Outlook Profile as the Default
To make the newly created Outlook profile as the default profile, follow the given below steps:
- First of all, go to the Control panel and click Mail.
- After that, click on Show Profiles in the Mail Setup – Outlook.
- Now, in the Mail window choose the newly created profile, click Properties.
- Under the Mail Setup windows, click on Email Accounts.
- Then, in the Account Settings window, go to Data File and click Set as Default. Click Close.
- Now the new Outlook data file is created, and it will work without any issues.
The above write-up is describing the Outlook error 0x8004010f and the ways to fix it. I have also mentioned the reasons behind this error code. All the techniques to resolve this issue has been described in detail. I hope it helps.