As we all know that Gmail is the most widely used Email application and is most preferred by almost every user. Gmail is one of the best platforms to exchange email data. Nowadays, most of the users are looking for a solution to import MBOX file into Gmail account. So, here in this article, we will discuss some simple and reliable methods to perform this task. Before, moving further let’s first know more about MBOX files and why we transfer MBOX to Gmail.
Here are some situations when importing MBOX into Gmail becomes very useful:
MBOX file is amongst the widely used file format by most of the available email clients such as Entourage, Thunderbird, Turnpike, Eudora, Opera Mail, Netscape, etc. All these email clients store the entire mailbox for a particular profile and one can easily open and view the emails using the MBOX file format. However, there are some email clients that do not support or open MBOX files directly. Most of the users find Gmail to be the most feasible email client that also does not directly open MBOX files. Hence, many users find it difficult to read these files. Therefore, there’s a need to transfer MBOX to Gmail. So, in the following section, a complete method of importing all your MBOX files into Gmail is discussed in detail.
Methods to Import MBOX to Gmail Account Manually
Since there is no direct method to import MBOX file, so we have to indirectly migrate MBOX file into Gmail. So, here in this manual approach, we will first export the MBOX file into the PST format, then we can easily import PST file into Gmail. Follow the given below procedure:
Step 1: Import MBOX to PST Format
As discussed earlier, there is no direct method available to export the MBOX file to the Gmail account. Therefore, you need to first convert MBOX to PST which is a more suitable file format and easy to import. Once you are done with the conversion then you have to export PST to Gmail.
- First of all, open the Thunderbird application on your PC.
- Then, you need to select the MBOX file that you want to import to Gmail account.
- After that, right-click on the email and select the Save As option.
- Now, you have to save the selected file at any desired location.
- Open MS Outlook application on your system and Login with the Gmail profile in Outlook.
- After that, click on the New Folder option to create a new folder.
- You are required to provide the name to a new folder.
- Now, from the saved emails from Thunderbird, choose the emails and move them to a new folder.
Hence, the selected emails can now be read in MS Outlook. Now all the MBOX file is saved as PST file format as Outlook generates one PST file for one user account.
Step 2: Export PST file to Gmail using GAMMO
Now, to perform this migration, the user can make use of the Gammo (Google App Migration for Microsoft Outlook) tool. This will allow users to export PST files to Gmail quite easily. Follow the steps mentioned below:
- First of all, you need to Download and Install the GAMMO app from the official website of Google.
- Then, you can Log in to the application by providing valid details for Google Login.
- Under user profile or PST file to migrate option, select the From PST option.
- Now, select Migrate all data option to import all emails from the selected PST file to Gmail and click on the Next button.
- After that, you can select the data items that you want to migrate to Gmail and click on the Migrate button to start the process.
After completing all the steps, then Gammo will start exporting all to selected items from PST files into the Gmail account. When the process gets completed successfully, you can easily access all the exported MBOX file in Gmail application.
This write-up is describing the ways to import MBOX file into Gmail account manually. Also, I have discussed the reasons why there’s a need to perform this migration. You have to follow the complete step-by-step procedure to migrate MBOX to the Gmail account. I hope it helps.