In recent times, most of the users are looking for a solution to split PST file in Outlook. That’s because when the size of the PST file exceeds its maximum file size limit, it can cause certain unfavorable situations of data loss and broken data items. The continuous increase in PST file size can become a major reason of concern for Microsoft Outlook users. Therefore, you must apply some techniques to maintain Outlook PST file size and control your system from running out of space. So, here I will suggest some of the manual methods to split the PST file in Outlook 2019, 2016, 2013, 2007, 2010. Let’s get started.
Top Reasons to Break Large PST Files
There are various reasons for splitting large PST files and some of the common reasons are mentioned below:
- Nowadays, due to the large size of the PST file, the performance and speed of Microsoft Outlook starts to slow down.
- Managing large size PST files is a tedious task.
- If the PST file is out of space or it is left with very limited storage space then, users are denied storing data items to the folders of the PST file.
- The data of the PST file becomes inaccessible for users when a large PST file exceeds its permissible limit.
How to Split PST File in Outlook Manually?
As there is no inbuilt tool provided by Microsoft Outlook for splitting large-sized PST files. Therefore, we can adopt some workaround manual methods to split PST files in Outlook 2019, 2016, 2013, 2010 and 2007. If PST file corrupted then it does not split therefore first of all repair PST file with manual method.
Method #1: Use Import/Export Process to Reduce PST Size
You can make use of the Import/Export wizard to reduce PST file size. It is not only used for moving data files to and from Outlook but also is used to split PST file in MS Outlook.
Follow the steps mentioned below:
- First of all, launch MS Outlook, then click File from the menu bar.
- After that, navigate to Account Settings >> Account Settings
- Click the Add button under the Data Files tab from the dialog box.
- Now, you have to enter name and type as Outlook data file (.pst) and click OK to create a new PST.
- Under Data Files, you can view the newly created PST.
- Next, click File >> Open & Export >> Import/Export.
- You have to choose Export a File in Import and Export Wizard and click on the Next button.
- Under Export File windows select Outlook Data File (.pst) and click the Next button.
- Now, select folders to export and check the Include Subfolders option if you want to export subfolders.
- Browse to select the saving location of the exported file and choose from the options to disallow exporting duplicates items. Click on the Finish button.
- Then, set a password for exported PST file or if you want you can cancel it.
Method #2: Use Move to Folder Option for Managing Large PST File
You can also opt for another effective technique to split large-sized PST files using the Move to Folder option. Just follow the step by step procedure mentioned below:
- Firstly, launch MS Outlook, click File tab >> Account Settings >> Account Settings.
- After that, click the Data Files and click on the Add button to add a new PST.
- Navigate to Home and open the default PST file of your Outlook profile. Select the items you want to move to a new PST file.
- For doing so, you have to click on the Move button from the ribbon and select Copy to Folder.
- Then, select the PST file, so that all the selected data items from the default PST file can be moved to the new one.
- You must delete the copied items from the default PST file so that its size gets reduced.
Method #3: Use the Archive Wizard for Reducing PST File Size
Users can make use of the Archive Wizard for splitting large-sized PST files in Outlook. Follow the simple steps described here:
- Firstly, start MS Outlook on your PC, open File >> Info >> Tools >> Clean Up Old Items
- Then, choose a folder to Archive, select a date to Archive older items and click Browse to save the Archive file to the specific location.
By using this technique, you can easily reduce the size of the PST file and save older data items to the desired location one by one within MS Outlook.
The above write-up is describing the best manual methods to split the PST file in Outlook 2019, 2016, 2013, 2010, and 2007. I am sure, by now you must have learned all the techniques to perform this task.